Saturday, November 3, 2012

Saturday Night Review

Saturday Night at the Pahala Theater is my favorite reading in the course so far. All of the material is so raw that I cannot put it down. Lois-Ann Yamanaka captivates the reader with the overwhelming amount of truth. The point of view is one of my favorite parts of the book because I feel like the perspective puts the reader right in the middle of the stories, experiencing the events with the narrator. I enjoy that the language is entirely in Pidgin because it makes the different accounts seem more genuine and gives another dimension of reality to the story. The greatest part of this book, in my opinion, is that it is one hundred percent poetry, rather than a straightforward story. This gives the narrator the chance to change between tones and topics easily in such a beautiful way. Although the narrator grounds people into reality with the plots, the poetic flow of the story suspends reality and injects the emotion into the minds of the reader. I really enjoyed this reading and hope to find more books written by Yamanaka.

1 comment:

  1. Steven -

    Young poetic padawan, I agree with your assertions, but expect finer tuned, close readings from you . . . use the force, it is strong in you . . .

    - Trey

    ReplyDelete