Saturday, December 1, 2012

Just a quick thought...

Okay, so this is just a quick thought and something I've been thinking about since last week's section discussion. It's interesting that in Hawaii it's all about the blood. It's about how much blood someone has or doesn't have to be labeled a "true Hawaiian". So even if someone who is white or a haloe is THE most Hawaiian (in terms of attitude, familiarity with the Hawaiian land...lived there for decades, etc) they can never be a "true Hawaiian" because they are not of Hawaiian blood. I don't really agree or disagree with this concept. I understand it. However, I find it really interesting that America was build on mixed blood or "the melting pot" idea. America wouldn't be what it is today if it wasn't for the mixed blood of other countries/cultures that helped form it. And I love that America is so diverse. Hawaii, on the other hand, while part of the U.S., isn't necessarily built on that idea. It seems like many native Hawaiians would probably prefer that Hawaii was exclusively Hawaiian blood only. And Hawaii was originally a group of islands only inhabited by Hawaiians. I'm not really sure where I'm going with this idea, but it's just interesting to me. Although Hawaii is a part of the U.S....it's separate and not part of the continental U.S. And something that the continental U.S. is so proud of....diversity and the "melting pot idea" isn't something that native Hawaiians value or necessarily want. Anyways, I just found those conflicting idea so interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment