Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Pity Party

I’ve noticed a pattern in pride surrounding home life and reputation amongst “the locals” in Hawaii. There are instances of it in both Saturday Night At The Pahala Theatre and All I Asking For Is My Body. It seems to me that there is more of an anxiety associated with keeping up appearances amongst the Japanese/Filipino locals in Hawaii. In Pahala Theatre When Lucy is spending a lot of time at Bernie’s shop after they bond over her pet goat, Lucy’s mother becomes angry and says, “Tell that old man I like you home by 5:00 or I calling the cops. Who he think him, your fadda? We no need his pity.”(Yamanaka 106) I recalled this scene while I was reading All I asking for is my body and the way that Kiyoshi’s parents speak of him spending time and eating dinner at Makot’s house. His mother tells him “don’t you see kiyoshi, you will bring shame to your father and me if you go there to eat. People will say, ‘Ah, look at the Oyama’s number two boy. He’s a hoitobo and chorimbo!.” (Murayama 2) It’s clear in the passages from both stories that these non-indigenous Hawaiian’s living in Hawaii care a lot about how they’re perceived by the public eye. Both of these cases happen to be Japanese families but I’m guessing that it’s prevalent in the Chinese and Filipino settler communities as well. Where do you think the extreme worry over public perception comes from amongst the settler communities? Do you think that it’s because they are a very proud people and just because they are living outside of their native land that’s not going to change. Or, do you think it has to do with the fact that their people were brought to the island by rich white men to work the plantations so they feel very self-conscience about their place within the economy of Hawaii and are much too proud to beg or look for handouts from anyone else?

4 comments:

  1. Trey, i really don't understand it, when i'm writing this on the blog tablette before i publish it, the whole thing is broken up into paragraphs and the book titles are in italics then when i press publish it becomes this big (pardon my French) clusterfuck...anyway, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alec -

    Just an FYI for your future writing - put the final punctuation after the end citation - like this (Yamanaka 106). Also, I just went in and put your titles back in italics and it seems to have worked, so there are two possibilities: 1) you're kind of technologically challenged; or 2) the blog hates you. I'll let you decide. And don't worry about your francais, I can hang.

    As for your original post, I think your questions point in the right direction in both cases. Murayama talks specifically about the importance of what he calls 'face', the public perception of an individual and that individuals reflection on the family as a whole - a sort of familial metonymy - which is why so much emphasis is placed on the obligations of the 'number one son'. The depictions in Yamanaka are a bit variant, such as women acting completely different in front of men than in front of each other and Lucy's mother being ashamed of anyone seeing her foraging for food to feed her family, but I believe that they both provide examples of the overarching tropes that you've identified with Asian immigrants in Hawaii. Nice work compadre,

    - Trey

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete