Tuesday, October 16, 2012

A Royal Contradiction

-Jessica St.Martin

I was very taken aback when presented with Queen Liliuokalani's "British Victorian Era" style of writing, because I had never before thought of her as an educated and bilingual woman. Consequently, I found that to be a very obvious "western assumption" of mine. Because of this, I also encountered very few Hawaiian words included in her text, and whenever the Queen did speak of chants committed to memory or a true Hawaiians connection to flowers, it was soon followed by an "I have my own chant" and "my garden, in which I have never ceased to take a keen interest." It seems as if she is throwing in claims to solidify her own bond with Hawaii, yet spends and awful lot of time referring to foreign countries and their customs or sights. I guess I expected "Hawaii's Story" to be more about Hawaii.

Another thought that constantly kept itself in the back of my mind was that, if stripped of any titles, references to author's name, or essential information identifying Liliuokalani as the source, I would have instantly placed her book as written by a Caucasian, British woman. Perhaps this is something to further discuss, as to why she portrayed herself in this manner, or what aspects of her life shaped her in this way. Also, I couldn't help but notice her incessant need to refer to all things impressive, charming, or pleasant that was constantly provided for her entertainment. On the other hand, any illness or disappointment was followed by a sharp and dramatic reaction. After the incident on page 87, where the Queen was thrown from her carriage, she states that "certainly no one could have been nearer to instant death." Yet two pages later it is revealed that the injuries were "no more serious than a very severe wrench or sprain."

She also presents another contradiction referring to her views and interactions with death. On page 108, Queen Liliuokalani quickly touches upon Mrs. Bishop's disease of cancer and her death. She then briefly notes Queen Emma's death with, "in the month of April 1885, she died." Soon after, on page 110, the Queen transitions to a list of valuable jewelry and land given to her upon the death of Mrs. Bishop. She then selfishly pouts while noting the preferred estate not acquired, claiming that "this wish of my heart was not granted." The Queen goes on to add impersonal and brief accounts of when "Princess Likelike and the other two princesses dies," and the effects her sister's death had upon the "efficiency of society" and her branch of the "Liliuokalani Educational Society." Then again on page 116, she selfishly states that "her death had an unfavorable effect upon my health."

Once past her self-centered account of the unfortunate deaths of multiple important women, the Queen's contradiction then appears. Upon the sight of a mummy exhibit, she had "turned away from the sight, because it spoke too plainly of death and burial," even though the Queen had hypocritically spoken of various death's with a light and unimportant air, and lapsed over mention of the women's  burials. I also tried to pull the most descriptive and detailed quotes on these deaths in order to show examples of how they compare up against the multiple chapters depicting the Queen's pleasure filled journeys.

These instances left me with many questions of her core personality and the effect a royal life had upon her values. So far, I have been disappointed to find a lack of "mana" in the last Queen of Hawaii.

2 comments:

  1. I just finished reading this book from cover to cover (was a long weekend) I was really thrown off by the Queen's reactions to some of the deaths also. I know that during that time period the average human life expectancy was much shorter, but she seems to brush all of the deaths off from her shoulder without much remorse at all, or at least that's how it read. It also seemed strange to me how much of the narrative was consumed with her various trips around the island and lavish trips to America and Europe. Especially when you learn that the "Bayonet Constitution" was forced upon her brother while she was attending the Queen of England's jubilee...Was it really necessary for her to be there? I think she would have been better suited staying close to home considerng how much her Brother had on his plate. It made me think of George W Bush's term in office and how much hell he caught for time spent away from Washington DC at his ranch in Texas. If i recall he was there during the majority of time that New Orleans was dealing with Katrina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all, Jessica I appreciate your critique. Although I have a tremendous respect for Liliuokalani as a historical figure, I can understand your desire and expectation for a different narrative aesthetic. I think that her intended audience and the situation in which she was writing this has to be kept in mind while reading - this was very much a piece of propaganda, a political weapon she was using to advance the cause of reclaiming Hawaiian sovereignty. As a sovereign, she has to depict herself certain ways, and being a woman in a man's world, the inherent patriarchy of global politics, she has to maintain a demeanor in which emotion, even in the case of death, will not cloud her ability to uphold her responsibilities as head of state. This is the same reason why, Alec, she had to be in England for the Queen's jubilee, especially because her kingdom was in political turmoil. By appearing in her brother's place, she was keeping bonds strong between one of their strongest international allies - ones that could potentially help them keep America's annexation at bay. I hope this helps, and I appreciate both your outlooks,

      Trey

      Delete