Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Liliuokalani's Style of writing (by:Jackie)

After reading Hawaii's Story by the Hawaiian Queen, I got a sense that she felt very hurt and betrayed but was able to hide it very well through the language she used. I couldn't help but wonder if it was because of translation, that a lot of important things get lost in translation. Or I was also thinking since she was taught by American missionaries maybe their style of, not necessarily introvertedness but maybe dry style of writing. I felt that a lot of her stories were very structured, a great example would be one we discussed in class where Liliuo goes to a reception in England with Queen Victoria and she described the room of a moderate size and that there was a sofa. Because her stories are so structured and quite monotone I am close to fully believing its due to translation because based on other videos that have been shown in class, Hawaiian people enjoy the use of metaphor and Hawaii's Story has very little of them.Then again it could be because leading up to the bitter part because I realized that when she talks about Hawaiian customs its really quite interesting.  
   Some parts of her stories though were very interesting to read for instance the part when she says, "But I was destined to grow up away from the house of my parents. Immediately after my birth I was wrapped in the finest soft tapa cloth, and taken to the house of another chief, by whom I was adopted." My initial reaction was like "Oh no, I'd want to be with my birth mother!!!" But it just shows how communal Hawaiians really are and how would it be to be adopted by a royal and then grow up and be their successor  I really obviously enjoy the Hawaiian customs part because I never really knew much about legit Native Hawaiian culture until now. The only thing I knew back then was...
and this

   

1 comment:

  1. Jackie -

    No issues of translation here; this was written in English by Liliuokalani in attempt to gain sympathies from the American public for the Hawaiian cause. How does this change your perception?

    Trey

    ReplyDelete