Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Queen's Perspective

I really enjoyed Hawaii's Story by Hawaii's Queen due to Liliuokalani's point of view. If anyone other than her wrote the story, I think it would be a very different tone. The whole time, she had a sort of whimsical voice throughout the book like she was confused, but also interested on how the annexation process carried out. If a regular Hawaiian native wrote the story, however, I feel like it would have been more of an angry and spiteful book. It was also helpful that Liliuokalani had all of the inside information from the government, and better understood the situation of the annexation. She was sort of an Alice in Wonderland, wandering through her life and accepting what life threw at her.

1 comment:

  1. I like the Alice comparison; but give me a bit more critical engagement next time ...

    - Trey

    ReplyDelete