Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Blue Crush

Hey guys--

After completing this course, I'm wondering what you guys think of the movie "Blue Crush"? Do you feel like it accurately depicts Hawaii and Hawaiian culture? I do (for the most part). Although Anne-Marie has grown up in Hawaii...she isn't always accepted by true Hawaiian locals. However, at times...she's accepted like a full-blood Hawaiian (such as being given full access to "secret surf spots"). Her pro football player boyfriend represents the typical tourists...taking surf lessons, staying in a nice hotel, attending lavish luaus, etc. What are your thoughts? I feel like it pretty fairly depicts a lot of Hawaiian culture. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAyG60RPv-k

2 comments:

  1. I really need to watch it again, I don't think I've watched it since I was 13. But I do remember that I loved it at the time!
    I remember the scene when she was at work (as a hotel maid) and the football players totally thrashed the room--it seems as if the film was trying to put her on the same level as other local Hawaiians who work serving the wealthy tourists, something Spahr and Gajelonia write about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think most aspects of the movie were pretty on point. The party Penny was at was totally legit, and the main Kanak's calling out the foot ball player pretty realistic. The only weird thing was the way they argued out at Pipe (Anne Marie and the boys). The way they were yelling at each other while on the wave when he dropped in on her was really silly.

    ReplyDelete