Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Sid

   Before I read the book, I saw the film and one of my recurring thoughts was my annoyance with Sid's character. He shows up out of nowhere, says the most obnoxious and often random things, and aside from helping Alex's character, he seemed to have no purpose whatsoever. When I began reading the book, I felt the same way about Sid until page 244, nearly the end of the book. This is where we get Sid's whole backstory. By this point we've already learned that Sid's father has died and his mother kicked him out. Initially when Sid mentions his father dying, I was surprised because I thought it wasn't in the film, and that would have meant leaving a critical point out. It makes more sense for Alex to have Sid around after learning that, because Sid knows what it's like to lose a parent. However, I believe the film actually does briefly touch on Sid's father's death, but obviously not enough to leave a lasting impression on the viewer. The film does, however, leave out the fact that Sid was kicked out and the reason behind that, which really irritates me.
   Sid really wasn't a lovable character in my eyes at first. He adds comic relief to the book and film, which seemed to be his purpose, which I thought was unnecessary in the film. The book adds a whole dimension to his character, giving him depth that I really wish had been in the film. It would shed light on his relationship with Alex and his purpose in the story. His relationship with others is also better in the book. Scottie is infatuated with him, always wanting to be around him, hear what he has to say, and take pictures of him for her scrapbook. Since we're seeing it from Matt's point of view, we also see everything he thinks about Sid. Matt's reactions to Sid were my reactions, being annoyed with him at first but at times appreciating some of the things he had to say, and then coming to like him and understand him better after learning his story. Sid was angry at his father just like Alex was angry at her mother, and Sid knows what it feels like to lose a parent while still being angry with them, whereas Alex has time to forgive her mother, and that's what Sid adds to the story. The fact that he knows it's better for Alex to use that time to forgive her mother and say goodbye because it will help her in the end.
   Surely there was room in the film to add at least a little of his story, or at least there would have been if they had cut down on all the unnecessary shots of the picturesque land and beaches in between scenes.

No comments:

Post a Comment